Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking. Horrible, horrible, locking ...

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking. Horrible, horrible, locking ...
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 16:40:10 -0700

On 2013-06-30, at 4:30 PM, Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:

> Given those things I felt the best solution was to make the locking
> run-time selectable.

So how and when do you change this at run time?  I.e., what software is nmh not
getting along with that requires it to change its locking behaviour.  And how,
practically, do you change it on the fly? This seems to require wrapper scripts
that set alternative  MH profiles with different locking settings.  Does anyone
actually do this?  A concrete example would help everyone understand the
problem.

And just as we must comply with the locking scheme the system mail spool uses,
anything that pokes around in ~/Mail/ needs to comply with our choice of
locking.

This whole runtime adaption business seems like an invented problem.  And
again, I make the case that no other MUA I've come across needs this to
function properly.  If there is a counter-example that proves the need, I'm all
ears and eyes.  But in the absence of one, I don't see the need.