Re: [Nmh-workers] Responding to calendar requests

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Responding to calendar requests
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:36:49 -0400

>Just save the attachment in a file and write an external program that
>parses the invite and sends the appropriate response.  You should be
>able to do the whole thing in less than a page of awk.

Ouch.  awk?  Okay, fine ... I know it's possible to write complicated
programs in awk.  But it sure is painful.

But that's just the mechanics.  The mechanics aren't hard, if you use
awk, perl, python, ruby, whatever.  What I'm really wondering about is
the user interface issues.  In other words, is the user interface you're
imaging something like this? (message 100 contains our message with the
calendar entry):

% mhlist 100
% mhstore -part <N> -file /tmp/foo.in.ics
% awk -f icsprog.accept /tmp/foo.ics.in > /tmp/foo.ics.out
% repl 100
in draft 100, insert:
#text/calendar; method=REPLY; charset=utf-8 /tmp/foo.ics.out
Run mhbuild/send.

I mean, yeah, that would work; that's sorta what I did.  But ... it
kinda sucks, doesn't it?  Shouldn't we do better?