Re: [Nmh-workers] --prefix=/usr/local issues

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] --prefix=/usr/local issues
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 11:27:14 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
 > Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> writes:
 > >
 > >No one really spoke up in favor of changing it.  Norm spoke up that he
 > >liked it the old way.
 >
 > But not enough to fight about it.

but i will.  i like the status quo.

with a big, multi-directory install like nmh, i vastly prefer that if
i do a local build and install that the results are self-contained:

    - it makes it trivial to have multiple installs -- currently
        my machine has the ubuntu version, 1.5, and git versions in
        different places.  i use git myself, but my wife gets 1.5.
    - when the reasons for needing the local build go away (because
        i've lost interest, or the pre-release changes i needed are
        now available through my distro), i simply revert my PATH
        changes and remove the entire /usr/local/nmh tree.

(it might be different if there were always a "make uninstall" target,
but there never is, and it probably wouldn't really be safe even if there
were.)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 32.5 degrees)