Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking (specifically, sequences)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 11:57:39 -0500

>That sounds like a problem to me.  Could an inc have to
>wait a half hour for a refile/folder -pack/or any of a
>large number of other operations to finish?

That's what I was trying to explain.  In the inc case, the actual fiddling
time is small.  Re-reading the sequence file after you're done incorporating
the messages solves that problem.  I cannot envision a scenario where
that does not solve the problem, but if you can come up with one I'd
gladly rethink that.

Refile generally doesn't take a huge amount of time, if it can do hard links.
folder -pack is the big one, but when I looked at that there are actually
a bunch of things that does that really expect no one is doing anything
else to the folder during that time period, so I would argue that any other
operations should block during that time.