Re: [Nmh-workers] message rewrite/fix up

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] message rewrite/fix up
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 22:15:20 -0500

Mark wrote:

> Just to confirm...we're both talking about using the Message-ID
> header as the basename for the saved copy of the original message,
> not the message number as used by nmh?

I was thinking the message number.  But I like Message-ID,
great idea.

> Hmmm... I've never filed a bug report on this, and I don't know if
> it's still an issue w. v1.5, but I vaguely remember a problem with
> rmm "comma" files, something like:
>
>       if a comma file (,123) already exists
>
>       and a message (123) is rmm'ed
>
>       comma file does not get updated with the content of
>       the message, it is simply deleted

I've never noticed that and I can't replicate it.  And the
code uses rename() everywhere to create the backup file so
it shouldn't happen in normal operation.  Everywhere except
one place, but that's in msh.

> While not serious, this was sometimes an unpleasant
> surprise. If the user expects that the ,123 file contains
> the original version of message 123, this would be a
> bigger issue.

The user shouldn't expect that anyway due to folder -pack,
at least.