Re: [Nmh-workers] mh and git patches

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mh and git patches
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:35:28 -0500

>anyone have favorite tips/tricks for using git-format-patch and mh?
>any simple automation that combines with comp or, i suppose, send?

You could always try building a draft file with mhbuild directives.
Maybe something along the lines of:

#text/plain [patch] |git format-patch --stdout

>is there a ways to get git-format-patch to generate a useful
>mh-compatible draft file directly?

It looks like .... you need to remove the first "From " line, and
the Date header.  Once you do that, you should be able to send that
directly.  Assuming git format-patch doesn't change it's format, you
could do that with something like "sed -e 1d -e 3d".  Obviously you'd need
a To: header in there, but format-patch can do that for you.  Also you
can use git-format-patch to add any arbitrary header you want.

>having done that, how can i send the series of drafts all at once?

I guess create a bunch of files and loop over them, invoking send
on each one?  Or you could combine a bunch of patches with --inline.

>or -- perhaps i should skip mh and embrace git-send-email?  but then
>i'd lose the copy in my outbox folder, etc.

Up to you; I feel confident that with some tinkering the tools are
there to make it work with native nmh.

>any feedback will be tested in short order:  i have a short series of
>patches ready for this list (eliminating some MAXARGS usage) that i'll
>experiment with -- you all are far more forgiving than the lkml crowd. :-)

You know .... may I make a modest suggestion?  Since you're confortable
with git you COULD simply skip all of this and commit to the tree directly.
If you're uncertain about a proposed changed you could send it to the list
to get feedback, but to me one of the values of revision control is that
it's easy to revert a change if it breaks something.  If you need help
getting going on savannah, let me know (I see you already have an account
there that has commit privs to the nmh tree).