Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] colorized/highlighted scan output?
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 23:24:36 -0400

david wrote:
 > Ken wrote:
 >
 > > But it occurs to me that we shouldn't actually do any of this for a
 > > "don't count this" format escape, because that stuff should live
 > > outside of the normal string handling routines in fmt_scan().  Also,
 > > I'm with Tom that I'm not so crazy about putting knowledge of ANSI
 > > escape sequences directly into fmt_scan(), because who knows if your
 > > terminal supports them?
 >
 > Agreed.
 >
 > > David, do you want to implement this?
 >
 > Will do.  Any suggestions on what to call the escape function?
 > "esc" was might first thought but it might be confusing to
 > talk about/describe in the man page.  "fmtesc"?  "invisible"?

the 1980's just called.  they want their termcap file back.

shouldn't this be done with more generic controls, that map to
(uncounted) terminfo/ncurses/whatever's-used-now strings?  i.e.,
controls for specifically changing red/blue/bold/etc?  feels a little
late to be embedding specific vt100 CSI codes into scan formats.

paul