Re: [Nmh-workers] sortm's Default of all is Brain-Damaged.

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] sortm's Default of all is Brain-Damaged.
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 00:49:44 -0400

On Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:02:21 -0500, David Levine said:

> From the snippets that Steve provided, it looks like that could
> upset exmh and MH-V.

Yes, exmh's use of sortm is "entire directory".

> mh.tcl:    if {[catch {eval {MhExec sortm +$f} $args} err]} {

And the $args it can be fed comes from these 4 calls:

        {date} { Folder_Sort -datefield date }
        {subject} { Folder_Sort -textfield subject }
        {sender} { Folder_Sort -textfield from }
        {custom} { eval Folder_Sort $ftoc(autoSortCrit) }

In other words, 3 canned values that assume "entire directory", and
one customizable (with a scary use of eval there - I suspect it doesn't
actually do what was probably intended, which would probably be
{ Folder_Sort { eval $ftoc(autoSortCrit) } }

In any case, if mh changes this behavior, it's going to break anybody
who doesn't have an exmh updated to specify all messages.