Re: [Nmh-workers] Requested send feature: Silently remove blankNmh-Attac

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Requested send feature: Silently remove blankNmh-Attachment headers
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:36:23 -0500

Norm wrote:

> Jon Steinhart <address@hidden> writes:
> >address@hidden writes:
> >> It would be nice, if send would silently remove blank Nmh-Attachment
> >> headers.
> >>
> >> Then users could put them in their templates. At composition
> >> time, they could leave them blank, fill them in, or duplicate
> >> them for multiple attachments.
> >>
> >> That way, folks like me, wouldn't have to remember how to spell
> >> "Nmh-Attachment:"
> >>
> >> Presently, when send encounters a blank Nmh-Attachment header it
> >> complains:
> >>
> >>      send: unable to access file ""
> >>
> >> and errors out.
>
> >That seems like a bug.
>
> I don't know what it's supposed to do now, but what I could like it to
> to do is silently remove the header.

I think the current behavior is by design.

As far as changing it to remove empty Nmh-Attachment headers,
it kind of rubs me the wrong way, because it might catch user
mistakes.

On the other hand, we remove unused Cc: headers, so it would
be consistent with that.

Should we remove all empty Nmh-* headers?  We don't have any
others now, but I'd like to see a consistent policy.