Re: [Nmh-workers] When send does not recognize a mime type

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] When send does not recognize a mime type
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 13:29:15 -0400

>BUT, finding the file type does not give you the mime type.  There's the rub.

Well, more versions of file are supporting the "--mime-type" argument.
But I'm not loving the idea of importing all of a "file" implementation
into nmh; that's just me.  Maybe an autoconf test to see if the --mime-type
argument is supported?  But should that override file extensions?  Sigh;
not great answers.

>I guess that I think that this is pretty much a non-issue.  I believe (I didn't
>do this part of the work) that we import /etc/mime.types, so we likely have the
>mime types for all of the file types that file would recognize.

We (by "we" I mean Steve Rader) did a one-time import; it's not
done every build (for one, not all systems have /etc/mime.types).

>There is also the issue that if types are not in the profile we can
>send 'em but not receive 'em.

I'm not sure I follow; if we don't know about a type, we just treat it as
application/octet-stream, right?