Re: [Nmh-workers] does dist work?

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] does dist work?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:08:37 -0500

> As Jerrad already explained, that's the way that dist
> works.  I always found it a bit weird myself, but I guess
> the authors of dist didn't want people to alter the draft
> message.  That's part of the reason there's a whole bunch
> of special case code for "dist" in send (the other reason
> is to handle the Resent-* headers).

The reason I started down this path was that mhmail supports:

  mhmail -resent addr(s) -from address@hidden < `mhpath cur`

-resent was formerly undocumented.  It adds the Resent-*'s and
feeds directly to post (not send, by default).  I was wondering
if that's unnecessary duplication of dist, but I don't think so.
dist supports this:

  dist -to addr [-to addr ...] -from address@hidden -noedit cur

then on to whatnow.  I expect a user could set things up to
bypass the whatnow step.  But the spirit of mhmail seems to be
to avoid that kind of setup.

> I know those Resent-* headers have been in the RFCs
> forever, but it seems that many MUA authors have forgotten
> about them.  Does anything other than dist generate them?

Looks like Exchange can generate Resent-From.