Re: [Nmh-workers] question about encoded recipient names

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] question about encoded recipient names
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 22:46:49 -0400

ken wrote:
 > >is mh transparent to encoded receipient names?  i.e., if i receive a
 > >mail message containing a recipient name such as:
 > >
 > >   =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rickard_Ekl=F6f?= <address@hidden>
 > >or
 > >   =?big5?B?TWFycyBDaGFuZyixabnFpOUp?= <address@hidden>
 > >
 > >can i assume that string hasn't been munged in any way by mh, and that
 > >if i simply reply, then recipients of the new message will see that
 > >name correctly rendered?  (assuming they're not running mh ;-)
 > >i.e., i'm hoping this is strictly a presentation issue in mh, and not
 > >something deeper.
 >
 > Those RFC 2407 encodings are designed to be RFC 822 "atoms" and as
 > a result the handling of them in old decrepit mailers like mh should
 > just work :-); in terms of the header parser routines they should
 > handle them fine.  That's always been my experience.

your ideas intrigue me, and i'd like to subscribe to your newsletter!

 > >also, is there a simple way to manually render these encodings, in
 > >order to see what they really look like?
 >
 > I guess you've had your own custom scan format and mhl format forever?
 > The ones shipped with newer versions of nmh can do it for you automatically;
 > check out the "decode" mh-format function and the same option for mhl.
 >
 > If you just want to decode one header, try:
 >
 > $(libdir)/ap -format '%(decode(friendly{text}))' '<To/From header>'

you're absolutely right that i've been tweaking the same forms for
probably 20 years now, and totally missed this modernization.  i
assumed this was all part of the "gotta finally get this mime stuff
happening" push that's hoped-for-soon.  silly me.

however:  that being said, neither your one-liner above, nor a
"scan -form <nmh-etc-dir>/scan.default" of the messages in question
does the right thing.  clearly they should, so clearly now the problem
is on my end.

thanks!

paul