Re: [Nmh-workers] Help!

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Help!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 14:57:01 +0100

Hi David,

> > Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 05:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: address@hidden (Mail Delivery System)
> > Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
> > To: address@hidden
> >
> > This is the mail system at host jad.dad.org.
>
> That bounce is from jad.dad.org.  It looks like you sent to your local
> machine instead of your ISP (smtp.tsoft.com?).

Is his local SMTP server on jad not involved with passing it onto his
ISP's smarthost then?

I read it as the other party, mail.eipye.com, rejected it when jad tried
to hand it over so the bounce email is from jad but it talked directly
to the peer.  Norm, it should probably be talking to your ISP's
smarthost and then they talk to eipye on your behalf.

The IP address jad appears to have as far as mail.eipye.com is concerned
doesn't have a reverse DNS entry to map it back to a domain name, e.g.
jad.dad.org.  Even after adding one I'd still recommend using your ISP's
smarthost as your IP address may be on spam blacklists from an earlier
time or just because it's from the ISP's client pool.

>From jad you could do

    wget -qO- http://donk.c4l.co.uk/ip

to show its IP address.