Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking In Scripts and nmh Locking

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking In Scripts and nmh Locking
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:24:24 -0400

Norm wrote:

> They include adding to mail drops, moving files between and within
> folders and editing context files (mostly to rename or remove
> sequences).

Though they can get clumsy, there are nmh programs to do each
of those things.  send/post adds to mail drops, refile moves
messages between and within folders.

Copy a sequence:
  mark -seq s2 `mark -seq s1 -list | sed 's/.*: //'`

Remove a sequence:
  mark -seq s1 -del all

Unfortunately, pick doesn't help here, it creates sequences
rather than searches them.

> I don't know which of these things require what kinds of locking.  I
> don't want to learn. And most importantly I shouldn't have to know.

I'd much, much rather use the high-level tools.

I realize you provided examples so there may be tasks that
aren't as easy to handle.  If we need to add to existing programs
to get what you need, I think that's the way to go.