Re: [Nmh-workers] Handling non-ASCII

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Handling non-ASCII
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:13:02 -0700

On 2012-04-16, at 9:03 AM, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Copy `cat -A'?
>
>    seq 0 255 | sed 's/$/P/' | dc | cat -A
>
> Or some other similar escaping;  \x1b.  It does mean one wouldn't be
> able to discern a subject with cat -A-looking output from binary.

What about non-utf8 multi-byte encodings.  Can 2022 style encodings have
embedded printable ASCII characters?  (Thankfully I've been away from that
stuff long enough to have forgotten.)

Also, I would convert the unprintable characters to '.' for display.  The \xyz
escapes are visually cluttering and obscure the viable text.

--lyndon