Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to post

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to post
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 09:05:41 -0700

On 2012-03-11, at 8:39 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:

> My thinking was that since bounces go to the SMTP envelope-from,
> bounces should go back to the person who wrote the message.  In the
> example above, I'd want to know about a bounced email, rather than
> my secretary (I guess I could see other people NOT wanting to deal
> with that, though).  But since it's not obvious what to use when
> there are multiple addresses in From:, Sender: should be the one
> that should be used.  But since I could imagine wanting to override
> that, that's why I created Envelope-From:.

The intent for Sender: is that it represent the entity responsible for the
transmission and delivery of the message, and that explicitly includes handling
DSNs, therefore the Sender: address should always be used as the MAIL FROM
address, if it's present.

But even in the presence of Sender:, the Envelope-From: should override Sender:
to allow for the scenario where address@hidden sends a message on behalf of
address@hidden, but wants DSNs directed at address@hidden  E.g.: