Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 11:53:32 -0600

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM, Lyndon Nerenberg  wrote:

>> But do you really think that
>> should be the only resort when badly formed mail arrives? I'd prefer to
>> see what was intended by the sender.
>
> Yes, I do :-(  QP and Base64 (and MIME in general) have been around for
> nearly two decades now.  If the sender can't get it right, too bad.  And
> really, the only time I see that sort of cruft is from spamming software.

And it can be a security issue.  The, "be liberal in what you accept,"
mantra is dangerous from a security perspective.

I have no problems with mhshow throwing an error.  It is simple
to then show the message w/o MIME processing.  I have a bash function
that I use in cases when I need to see a message without any MIME
processing, but with basic mhl processing so I do not have
see all the raw headers:

sh.m() {
  show -noshowproc $* | mhl
}