Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh "post" doesn't read profile, fileproc ignored

From: Jeffrey Honig
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh "post" doesn't read profile, fileproc ignored
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 21:43:34 -0500

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 19:23, Jeffrey Honig <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 19:17, Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote:
>Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried that already...

Sorry Jeff, I should have guessed that.  I just thought maybe you weren't
familiar with "git blame".

>I'm going to peruse here to see if there is some explaination of why it's
>that way and if the reason is still valid:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/rand-mh/

I was curious about this as well, so I took a look.  I see there's
still call to m_foil() in post back in MH 5.  So I am guessing the
answer is, "we've always done it that way".  I see that the READ-ME
for MH 5 is dated ... sweet Jesus, January 19th, 1985.  Suddenly I

That's about when I started using MH and mh-e...  Were you even born?  ;-)

feel young again!  There are a few ChangeLog entries that imply
that the m_foil() code was added by Marshall Rose, and he's still
alive, isn't he?  If people care, someone could always email him
and ask him about it (note: I am NOT volunteering; I have nothing
against Marshall Rose, I'm just not motivated enough to bother).

He's around. I'll e-mail him.

Here's MTR's answer:

``when you run mh commands in a script, you want all the defaults to be what the man page says.  when you run a command by hand, then you want your own defaults...

/mtr''

This implies that post would only be run from a script, I'm not sure that's the case.

Anyway, that gives us some insight into why it was done that way so we can make an informed decision on changing it.

Thanks

Jeff

--
Jeffrey C. Honig <address@hidden>