[Nmh-workers] Experimental version: mmh

From: markus schnalke
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Experimental version: mmh
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 15:24:33 +0100

Hoi community,

nmh seems to move again -- great!

This pushed me to let you know about my current work.

I had been active on this list, one year ago, trying to improve nmh. I
had to learn that this community is different to others I've seen so
far. I also found out that my view of nmh's future is quite different
to the view of many people here. Nontheless, I still use nmh and still
love to change it to satisfy my wishes.

During the time last year, I came to the conclusion that the best way to
work freely is going my own way. Especially as my wishes are contrary
to yours in the mayor points concerning compatibility and the question
if nmh should be a mail system or only a MUA (without MTA). Therefore, I
decided to create an experimental version (call it ``fork'') of nmh,
named ``mmh'' (``meillo's mh'', but also ``minimalistic/minimized mh'').
For this experiment, I change to achieve small improvements rather
than stay compatible to nmh. Such an approach can only be taken in an
experimental fork, by (temporarily) cutting the connections behind. I
don't intend to steal your man power, but instead, doing my own
experiments to create some result that is even more usable to me than
nmh. Hopefully, this will then improve nmh in some way, too.

I don't know where my work will lead me to, nor do I know if I will
create any useful results at all, but I have ideas and motivation and
a code base to build upon (thank you!).

I'll let you know about my progress.

You care about nmh in the meantime. :-)

meillo