Re: [Nmh-workers] annoying DNS lookups

From: Ken Hornstein
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] annoying DNS lookups
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 14:09:29 -0400

>> I fully admit this situation isn't wonderful; I'm open to suggestions.
>
>It's futile trying to second guess the system config.  You trust in the
>response from gethostname(), and provide an nmh configuration file
>override for when gethostname() is wrong.

Okay, here's a non-theoretical scenario:

- nmh installed on shared filesystem, with shared configuration file.
- Client systems are configured with "short hostname".

What's the solution here?  If we do what you suggest, nmh will have a
functionality regression.

I confess, while this situation isn't ideal, we wouldn't even be talking
about it if it wasn't because of one user that had spotty DNS connectivity.
(And like I said in my original reply, it's possible that could get fixed
with a one-line change).