Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ reallynon-A

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ reallynon-ASCII message bodies ]
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 16:03:25 -0800

On 10-12-07 3:48 PM, Jon Steinhart wrote:
This is the first that anybody has spoken
up about this as far as I'm aware, so I was trying to protect backward
compatibility.

A lot of MTAs just accept the stuff, even though it violates the standards. The assumption was 'just treat it as 8859-1'. That sort of worked long ago, but not any more.

Now that the whole email delivery chain has had to start dealing with character set encodings properly I've noticed a (very) slight increase in the number of sites that are rejecting un- and mis-encoded non-ASCII text.