Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ really non-

From: Jon Steinhart
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [ really non-ASCII message bodies ]
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:10:52 -0800

> [2010-12-07 08:27] Jon Steinhart <address@hidden>
> > Sounds good.  Is the patch that you sent out complete?  I don't see an
> > option
> > that enables/disables this behavior and I think that there should be one.
>
> I believe it's correct that there is no switch.
>
> If one wants to deactivate it, do not specify -attach.
>
> If -attach is given, I believe the changes are fixes for broken
> behavior. Your attachment system lacks some awareness for non-ASCII
> text, which you probably don't deal with much. This is improved with
> my patch.
>
> meillo

OK.  I think that there should be a switch.  I guess it bugs me to see the
character-by-character examination of the message body on by default.

I understand that my attachment system does not handle non-ASCII message
bodies, but again, that's because non-ASCII message bodies are not "legal".
I think that you have justified extending nmh to handle "illegal" message
bodies.  I'm just nitpicking on the implementation details.

Could you please explain again how you get the character set information
for non-ASCII message bodies?  Sorry that I didn't save your original
message on this.  I seem to recall that you got it from the profile; I
would rather see you get this from the LANG environment variable.

BTW, I would suggest using isascii() rather than (*p > 127 || *p < 0).

Thanks,
        Jon