Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [really mime

From: Jon Steinhart
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal) [really mime parsing]
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 08:26:16 -0800

Wow.  Woke everyone up it seems.  Good morning!

>   | A big thing that someone could do to help me with this would be to
>   | collect all of the various grammar into a single document.
>
> Aside from intellectual curiosity, no, I don't think that's either
> needed or useful.   We know we can never have everything, as there's
> sure to be something new appearing tomorrow - the right solution is
> to deal with  the general principles properly, not to attempt to be
> able to handle every detail (even less so, as half the world's mail
> systems generate improperly formed messages, if we think we know what is
> correct, half - or more - the mail we ever see will fail).

This isn't intellectual curiosity.  It would help *me*, and *I'm* volunteering
to do a bunch of the work.  If you would like to do the work without this then
more power to you.

> nothing done with Yacc will last until the water gets hot -
> it looks too closely to tolerate nasty, external reality.

I've done a lot of lex and yacc and I don't agree.  But again, if you're
stepping up to do the work you can do it your way.

I'll try to restate my point from my last message.  This discussion isn't moving
things forward.  I'd like to move forward and would prefer that it not be a solo
effort.  Are any of you willing to help?  If so, let's get started and have a
dialog about how to proceed.  I'm a lot more flexible on the mechanics if I'm
not
going it alone.  Let's use our energy to make progress.

Jon