Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal)

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Understanding nmh (aka. What's the goal)
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 00:24:12 -0500

ve6bbm/ve7tfx wrote:
 > > i think it's less a popularity contest than a desire to have someone
 > > interested enough to manage the website and packaging when the rest of
 > > us are all out in our rocking chairs on the porch, tapping our canes, and
 > > muttering about the good old command-line days...  :-)
 >
 > But that's not at all what's being proposed.
 >
 > Or maybe my Alzheimer's is creeping up and I missed it.  But I don't
 > think so.

you're right.  but the point of new users (and of future maintainers,
as alluded to above) is part and parcel with the question of relevancy
that ken raised.  if mh can't do what people want (need) from an email
client, then there will soon be little reason at all to use it, and
even less to maintain it.  i can get away with using mh for work
because i'm fairly picky about my chosen jobs, and i'm willing to
tolerate a lot of pain to stay on the commandline.  my wife gave up on
mh for work some time ago -- she still uses it for her home mail, but
i can see the writing's on the wall.

i'd like to see new mh users because i'd love to see a larger
potential population of interested maintainers, which would increase
mh's relevancy, which would help guarantee that i'll still be able to
use it from my rocker on the porch.  (and, btw, i'm willing to give up
some (well-documented) backwards compatibility to do that.)

paul
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 40.8 degrees)