Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] snapshot of my MIME handling improvments

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] snapshot of my MIME handling improvments
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:15:48 -0500

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 15:53:02 +0100, markus schnalke said:

> > > The new profile names are: `attachment-header' and
> > > `attachment-format'. (attach_fmt should likely be a char* too.)

> > What if exmh (which uses nmh under the covers)
>
> Of course, the changes will break compatibility but for a saner
> solution.

Well, if I *have* to do version detection to tell what I need to do inside
exmh, I can do that.  But it's still a pain. ;)

> > wants to add 3 attachments to a note - one an image/jpg called
> > 'fallout.jpg',
> > an Excel spreadsheet called 'estimates.xls', and a Word document called
> > 'coverstory.doc'?  You *really* need to be able to specify the name, the
> > mime-type, and possibly the mime-encoding of the attachment on a
> > per-attachment basis.
>
> This means every frontend for nmh needs to incorparate code to figure
> out what mime type and encoding to use for any given attachment. This
> truly is to be done by the backend. That's what my approach changes.

Sorry - when I read it, it sounded like the program would be choosing the
name and format from the profile, which would break if you had to specify
more/alternate names/formats.  If in fact you are also supporting command-line
switches, that would be OK.  Note that if you're doing this, it *would* be
nice if it supported nesting:

main mail
   text/plain first section
   message/rfc822 included mail
      text/plain
      image/jpg
      application/ms-word
   text/plain more text
   image/png   an updated graph

You get the idea.  Multipart/alternative would be handy too.

If you have to attach 3, are you thinking of 3 invocations, or one
invocation that takes multiple flags?