[Nmh-workers] portability

From: Lyndon Nerenberg (VE6BBM/VE7TFX)
Subject: [Nmh-workers] portability
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 11:40:14 -0800

Robert mentions:

> However, I am not nearly as confident as some here that everything is
> possible simply by writing posix compatible code.  I don't mean by
> that that posix code can't do what MH needs, but that I suspect that
> there are still real users on real systems that don't do everything
> the posix way, and I don't think that simply ignoring them is a
> rational approach.

If that's the case, how are they compiling the current nmh code?
What's there very much assumes a traditional UNIX environment, albeit
one that was suffering from the transition to POSIX / SUS / X/Open /
SVID / pick_a_"standard".  If those non-UNIXy systems are out there,
let's enumerate them so that we can try best to accommodate them.

Looking at the code base in more detail, I think it's plausible to
reduce the dependency graph from 'POSIX' to 'ANSI C' for everything
except the networking components.

--lyndon