Re: [Nmh-workers] Fixing decoding of quoted messages in replies

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Fixing decoding of quoted messages in replies
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 17:07:42 -0500

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:48 PM, markus schnalke <address@hidden> wrote:
>> So send should:
>>  * check for non-ASCII characters
>>  * when present: pick an encoding (first usable one from
>>     a user-configurable list like us-ascii,iso-8859-1,utf-8)
>>  * encode body and headers as per MIME, adding MIME headers
>>    to match
>
> Just one quick thought: What about signed and encrypted messages?
> Where and how would this be done and would it interfere?

During send.  I.e. Have an option for send to support signing/encrypted.
It is only at the send stage that you know a message will not
be further modified by the user.

With the current motivation by some to do work on nmh, supporting
SMIME/PGP should be considered.  If some of the mail parsing and
MIME handling is improved, adding such support may become easier.

--ewh