Re: [Nmh-workers] using maildir as mh mailstore

From: Jerrad Pierce
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] using maildir as mh mailstore
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:31:00 -0500

Why?

What difference does it make if MH's mail store format is "non-standard"?
If you ever need to export things there's packf (although some scripting
may be necessary to handle nested folders) to get an mbox.

You wouldn't just be sacrificing "esoteric features" of MH, but also much
of ability to easily work with messages via standard tools, and the ability
to intuit things about a message based upon its number.

OTOH, a FUSE layer that did maildir to MH translation would be an easy way
of getting IMAP support via the aforementioned Offline IMAP, and a layer
going the other way to make MH look like maildir oughn't be too difficult.

Maildir's all about integrity, and pulling all of that into nmh would be
non-trivial. Or do you mean perhaps something that can read Maildir,
but doesn't adhere to the specs? I'm still unclear as to what is gained.
--
Free map of local environmental resources: http://CambridgeMA.GreenMap.org