Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh @ gsoc?

From: Lyndon Nerenberg
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh @ gsoc?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:47:41 -0700 (MST)

i know there have been a couple of fuse attempts at imap
integration -- i don't recall how far they've gotten.  if it
weren't for possibly already having been done, i'd think that
would be an almost ideal summer-of-code project, since it would
be a somewhat stand-alone project, and something with pretty
well-understood requirements.   and there wouldn't be a lot
of code archaeology needed to implement it, unlike some other
possible projects.

A good IMAP client isn't something you're going to write in a few months, and certainly not by a student with no prior IMAP implementation experience.. IMAP has a lot of subtle behaviours that make writing *good* clients difficult until you've had a non-trivial amount of experience actually implementing the protocol. At one company I worked at we went through three complete ground-up redesigns of our IMAP server over three years before we came up with something we were happy with.

A FUSE based imapfs isn't a suitable candidate for a GSOC project.

--lyndon