[Nmh-workers] Verizon DSL block

From: Stewart W Wilson
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Verizon DSL block
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:31:04 -0500 (EST)

Recently I switched from dialup to DSL.  Incoming mail, browser, ftp, telnet
all work fine.  But outgoing mail gets the error:

What now? send
post: problem initializing server; [BHST] no servers available
send: message not delivered to anyone

My ISP is eskimo.com (they speak Linux).  Eskimo uses Verizon for DSL.
I suspect the problem involves a spam blocking policy that Verizon began
last year.  Here is a Verizon URL about the policy:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/General+Support/Top+Questions/QuestionsOne/124274.htm

As you can see, they say to change from port 25 to port 587.  And there is
a link "step-by-step instructions" for various mail systems.
Unfortunately, they don't include nmh!

I can't find anything about this in Peek's book or in the FAQ (I tried the
remedies in 06.04).

What should I do?  Do you know anyone who has Verizon DSL but through
a third-party ISP?  How do they deal with the blocking?

Thanks for any help.

Stewart Wilson
Concord, MA
prediction-dynamics.com