Re: [Nmh-workers] post and ssmtp

From: Earl Hood
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] post and ssmtp
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:05:10 -0500

2009/10/4 Axel Jantsch <address@hidden>:
> Is there a way to get post to work with ssmtp or msmtp?
>
> Both are partially compatible with sendmail but do not support the -bs
> option.
>
> If post could simply write the mail (after all its processing) to a file or
> to standard output, then I could use ssmtp to send of the mail. Part post
> pipes smtp commands to sendmail with the -bn option; this is not understood
> by ssmpt.

Is should be possible to write a wrapper script/program that understands the
sendmail-type interface and then calls ssmtp, or any other program.

IIRC, I believe nmh uses sendmail for other options, like address checks.
For example, when you do 'whom' at the "What now?" prompt, the addresses
are checked against sendmail (-bv).  This detail may not matter in your case.

I looked a long time back for some simple smtp submission clients that
support TLS connections, and it looks like they finally exist.  When
I get time, and if someone does not write one, I will try to work on a
wrapper that works with nmh and calls msmtp.

I'd like to be able to use gmail's tls smtp servers for sending outgoing
mail, but nmh does not support tls/ssl.

--ewh