Re: [Nmh-workers] New new/fn/fp/unseen program

From: Josh Bressers
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] New new/fn/fp/unseen program
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:13:26 -0400

On 22 July 2008 at 21:57, Joel Reicher wrote:
> > I've used Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new)
> >
> > for as long as I've used mh, and I've used this much faster
> > reimplementation in my local mh tree for the last couple years.
> > Since I'm trying to get back to using stock nmh, I'm hoping you
> > will accept it for inclusion.
>
> Perhaps there should be a contrib section in the nmh distribution?

Yes, this would probably be a great place to capture most of Jerry Peek's
useful scripts.

> This "new" command is very scripty, and indeed Luke's original
> implementation is a perl script.

Yes, and it's insanely useful.  I think it would be most useful to pull in
useful things like this, and having it in C is a bonus since we don't need
to carry around two languages for nmh.

This is something that would increase the functionality of nmh, so I say
include it.

> My feeling is that the core nmh utils should not be like that, although
> I can't really justify that feeling.

I think this is a counterproductive stance to take with respect to nmh.  We
should really be working to make the lives of our users better.  The fact
that I carry around an incredible number of scripts just to make nmh work
tells me two things.

1) I'm lazy and should be fixing these problems in the source
2) nmh has some very serious problems

You could probably say the same thing about virtually any new feature added
to nmh.  If you don't like something new, just don't use it.

--
    JB