Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to allow nmh 1.3 to work on VFAT (or other non

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Changes to allow nmh 1.3 to work on VFAT (or other non-linking FS)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 13:17:40 +0100

Jeff Morgenthaler wrote:
>Thanks for the work on nmh.  I have been using it for years via mh-e.
>With the simple changes below, nmh running under GNU/LINUX is able to
>work with a Mail directory tree stored on a VFAT partition.  I think the
>changes are minor enough not to mess anything else up.  Everything seems
>to work, but honestly I am not [n]mh expert enough to test everything.
>So as always, "no promises," and "hope it's useful."

The first change is fine, but the second (to lock_file.c) needs thinking
about. If it's OK to just creat() the curlock then we ought to be doing
it in all cases, not creating it as something else and link()ing it.
On the other hand, if just-creat() isn't right then you shouldn't be
doing it just because the link() failed EPERM.

I don't know how you're supposed to do locking on VFAT.

PS: unified (-u) diffs are easier to read.

-- PMM