Re: [Nmh-workers] [NEWBIE]: fetchmail/procmail and inc

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] [NEWBIE]: fetchmail/procmail and inc
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:53:35 +0000

Hi Xavier,

> Fetchmail is used to retrieve my mails. It then passes them to
> procmail which stores them into my mail spool.

procmail can also store into MH folders, e.g. ~/mail/inbox, IIRC,
removing the need for the inc stage.

> > The problem of retrieving mail is the same in either case, however.
> > Use fetchmail OR inc, but not both. As long as it works, I doubt it
> > will matter much what you choose.
>
> As of today, I use *both* fetchmail and inc. Fetchmail/procmail are
> used to retrieve/sort/filter/store mail into my system wide mail
> spool. Inc is there to update my $USER mailbox. It works ok but I am
> not satisfied of this. I want inc to do almost all the job except
> sorting/storing (which I want procmail still to do).

Since fetchmail can do more complex fetching than inc, likewise procmail
can do more complex filtering than slocal I suggest you leave them to do
the work they're already doing and either have procmail put stuff in
your inbox or create ~/bin/inc that kicks off fetchmail and then runs
/usr/bin/mh/inc.

Cheers,

Ralph.