Re: [Nmh-workers] compile nmh on Mac OS X breaks on slocal.c

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] compile nmh on Mac OS X breaks on slocal.c
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 05:02:28 -0400

On Fri, 05 May 2006 10:07:18 +0200, Matthias Teege said:

> I try to build the latest nmh on a Mac OS X box. The make dies with
>
> gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.. -I. -I..   -Wall -O2 slocal.c
> slocal.c: In function 'parse':
> slocal.c:780: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'm_getfld'
> differ in signedness
> slocal.c:780: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'm_getfld'
> differ in signedness
> slocal.c:786: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'm_getfld'
> differ in signedness
> slocal.c:786: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 3 of 'm_getfld'
> differ in signedness
> slocal.c: In function 'suppress_duplicates':
> slocal.c:1533: error: 'datum' undeclared (first use in this function)
> slocal.c:1533: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> slocal.c:1533: error: for each function it appears in.)
> slocal.c:1533: error: parse error before 'key'
> slocal.c:1534: error: 'DBM' undeclared (first use in this function)
> slocal.c:1534: error: 'db' undeclared (first use in this function)

Looks like you're missing Berkeley/Sleepycat DBM or GDBM or ndbm.  Either that,
or
some special incantation is needed to get it included.  The ./configure
script (at least the CVS tree) supports these flags:

  --with-ndbm=ARG         use -lARG to link with ndbm
  --with-ndbmheader=ARG   #include <ARG> to use ndbm

Can you look in the config.log and see what it said about what DBM it found, and
what flags were used?

As a question to the list - AFAIK, slocal is the only thing in the entire
nmh tree that needs DBM.  I suspect I'm not alone in using nmh/exmh/etc to deal
with mail, but using procmail instead of slocal.  Should we modify things so
if no DBM -devel environment is found, we simply warn and don't build slocal?