[Nmh-workers] Refactoring the nmh source

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Refactoring the nmh source
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:58:42 +1000

I'd like to start refactoring the code. I've had a look around, and much
of it is a little messy.

I think refactoring bit-by-bit is a better way to go then trying a
rewrite, and the process will reveal the bits that really do need
rewriting.

To begin with I was planning on very simple refactorings; eliminating
duplicate code, some reorganisation to put things in sensible places, etc.

New code will come along later, but I'd like to leave that until it's
more obvious what needs doing and the right way to do it.

I have three questions for the list. Firstly, are there any objections to
the basic idea of doing this?

Secondly, do you want a new branch for this work? I'm hoping the answer
to this question is "no", partly because I'm aiming for the refactoring to
be modest/trivial to begin with.

Lastly, what's the policy with commits and ChangeLog? I'd prefer to do
frequent and small commits, but that may annoy some people. I also wouldn't
put most of what I'm planning to do into the ChangeLog.

Cheers,

        - Joel