[Nmh-workers] nmh-announce (was Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: Change to mailing lis

From: Dan Harkless
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 12:26:24 -0800

On March 7, 2006, Josh Bressers <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Just FYI:
> >
> > I've switched Josh to be the administrator of the three (I originally forgot
> > about nmh-announce) mailing lists, and given him the necessary password.
> > If you've got issues with the way the mailing list is being run, you
> > now know who to bother :-)  I admit that I didn't think anyone was going
> > to volunteer, but anyway, thanks to Josh for stepping up to take it over!
>
> Unless someone gives me a good reason, I'm going to shut down the
> nmh-announce list.  There has never been a post to it.  I see no purpose in
> keeping this open.  In the event we decide it's needed, I'll open it back
> up someday.

I strongly disagree.  Like any piece of software where there's a
-workers/-devel list that sometimes gets a lot of traffic, there should be a
-announce list so that end-users who don't care about development issues and
don't have time to wade through all that mail have an option to subscribe to
a low-traffic list that only contains issues they care about (e.g.
notifications of new releases, security issue announcements, etc.).

nmh-announce may not have had any posts to it while at its current home, but
it certainly did when it was being hosted at mhost.com.  If we are currently
underutilizing it, we should fix that and post an announcement about the
1.2 release, instead of eliminating the list.

--
Dan Harkless
http://harkless.org/dan/