Re: [Nmh-workers] send/whatnow -attach option

From: Jon Steinhart
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] send/whatnow -attach option
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:25:50 -0800

Changing the subject line here.

I have to admit that it's getting a bit hard for me to follow all of
the variations on mime message formats that people want because it's
not something that has ever been an issue for me.  The automatically
generated stuff has worked for everybody to whom I send stuff.

I would like to suggest that we leave the send/whatnow -attach option
alone.  Adding additional mhbuild options such as the one for
content-disposition is fine.  New features should be added in the manner
that I suggested earlier in the -forward option email.

I take this position because it's important to me that the attachment
handling code user interface remain simple.  I added that code because
I wanted a user interface that was simple to use, and don't want to
break that.

There is a problem with adding dash options and mhbuild directives and
other stuff to the existing code, which is that I routinely see and have
to work with files whose names are not unix-friendly.  Names that include
spaces, quotes, and even dashes.  Worse, dashes that follow spaces.  So
any sort of dash option thing would break the existing code.  Sure, you
could add quoting and escaping and all that stuff, but then it's no
longer simple and easy to use.

Another way of putting it is that I'd rather see new features added in
such a way that someone using the existing user interface is not affected.

Jon