Re: [Nmh-workers] [nmh-1.2] a serious bug in the nmh configure script

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] [nmh-1.2] a serious bug in the nmh configure script
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:42:47 +1100

>   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2005/12/21/0006.html
>
> In short, the configure script has some lines that use what seems the
> wrong operator (==).  NetBSD complains when running "./configure",
> OpenBSD does not complain.  In any case, the "config.h" file made by
> the configure script is wrong in both operating systems.  slocal.c is
> unable to find the ndbm.h header file in the right place (/usr/include
> in both cases):

The problem is in aclocal.m4. Change the "==" to "=" and autoreconf.
Regarding finding ndbm.h, I don't fully understand why the logic in
the file is the way it is. The DB_DBM_HSEARCH doesn't actually appear
to be used anywhere, so I can't comment on why it looks for db.h "before"
looking for ndbm.h.

> At last, I am very sorry for not providing feedback on this issue
> before nmh-1.2 was released.  I certainly did not expect nmh-1.2
> released too early and the fourth release candidate of nmh-1.1
> worked fine, as previous releases did.  By the way, what happened
> to nmh-1.1?  ;-)

This problem wasn't present with 1.2-RC1, so there's no reasonable way
we could have picked it up, IMHO. Don't know why the change was introduced
for 1.2 without further testing, although I recall some discussion about
gdbm in the last couple of weeks.

Cheers,

        - Joel