[Nmh-workers] Suggestion re: giving feedback

From: Jerry Peek
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Suggestion re: giving feedback
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 07:58:30 -0700

Hi everyone.  General comment here:

On 28 September 2005 at 7:11, Jon Steinhart <address@hidden> wrote
  (Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.1 release candidate 4):

> I've heard from very few folks since heading down this
> path and will be less sympathetic to complaints that come in after the fact.

I (unfortunately) haven't done much collaborative software development.
But I have done a lot of other collaboration by email -- most recently,
setting up a website for alumni at a college where I used to study.
When I read Jon's comment above, it was deja vu... I think he might
have the same feeling I do: doing a lot and getting little feedback.

People read my messages to the alumni group ("Hey everyone -- should
we do X or Y?") and generally almost *no one* answers.  I asked a
friend why.  He said "everyone is busy, and they assume `someone else'
will answer."  Of course, when *everyone* assumes that, then, well...

Here's a suggestion.  If you have a comment but you're hoping someone
else will answer, make a note in your PDA (or set an "at" job to email
you a reminder, or...) that, if no one has answered Jon's question by
Time X, you should send a reply.  This might help move things along
*and* make maintainers like Jon feel less "on his own".  FWIW...

Jerry