Re: [Nmh-workers] outstanding patches

From: Oliver Kiddle
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] outstanding patches
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:52:17 +0200

Tet wrote:

> These days, yes it is. The number of systems actually running nmh without
> COW is probably pretty negligible by now. Even for those where vfork()
> is actually faster (like NetBSD, for example), there's no real advantage
> to using vfork() unless you're forking an awful lot of processes, and
> we're not.

I tried searching on Google and what I could find backs up this point.
The UNIX programming FAQ suggests that it is probably unwise to use
vfork() at all (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/programmer/faq/index.html).

So how about we change all the instances to fork()? If it causes
problems for some system then presumably we'll find out. And judging by
the original Debian bug report, it would be solving a real issue on at
least Linux.

Oliver