Re: [Nmh-workers] Questionable code - the bigger picture

From: Chris Garrigues
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Questionable code - the bigger picture
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:04:45 -0500

> From:  Ken Hornstein <address@hidden>
> Date:  Fri, 20 May 2005 14:13:07 -0400
>
> >Hmmm, why don't we treat this as a software project and:
> >
> >      1) Do requirements gathering
> >         a) ask our customers (users) what they need
> >      b) ask parters what they need (mh-e, exmh)
> >      2) Come up with work estimates
> >      3) Figure out when we want to release
> >      4) Schedule what will fit
> >         a) review it with customers and partners
> >      b) refine it
> >      5) Do the work
> >      6) Document it
> >      7) Test
> >      8) Release
> >      9) Lather, rinse, repeat
> >
> >Or has getting paid to do software damaged my mind?
>
> I think this is a great idea.  But I think the chances of it happening
> are unlikely.

Evidence to support Ken's view should be apparent in the fact that every time
the startup process gets too big with nmh, things have ground to a halt.  It
feels like for anything to happen, someone is going to have to start coding.
I think the only way nmh will move forward is with a rapid prototyping model
rather than a traditional software development model.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                         Trinsic Solutions
President                               1611-B West 6th Street

512-322-0180                            http://www.trinsics.com

                 Would you rather proactively pay for
                uptime or reactively pay for downtime?

                          Trinsic Solutions