Re: [Nmh-workers] Another questionable piece of code

From: Jeffrey C Honig
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Another questionable piece of code
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 21:16:10 -0400

Jon Steinhart <address@hidden> wrote:

> There's a pretty strange function called context_foil().  In all
> but two of the places where it is called it is called with a NULL
> argument so it does nothing except set the globals defpath and
> context to "/dev/null", and none of these calling programs ever
> reference these globals.

But other files in sbr do.  This function appears to cause the
.mh_profile and context file to be ignored by some functions.  Unless
MHCONTEXT and/or MH are set in the environment.

In post.c, if LIBSW is passed, a dummy context is set up with just a

> So it seems to me that these calls are bogus and can be removed.

Not at all.

Are you using cscope?  You should be using a tool like it to check for
side effects.  I'm sure there are many in the sbr/ directory.

Thanks.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey C. Honig <address@hidden>