[Nmh-workers] Re: How can MH-E handle application/octet-stream ?

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Re: How can MH-E handle application/octet-stream ?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 10:23:26 -0700

[Followups to address@hidden, address@hidden

Axel Jantsch <address@hidden> writes:

> I often get a pdf file (or other well known file types) with
> application/octet-stream mime type. In MH-E such an attachment is displayed
> as
>
> [2. Maj.pdf --- application/octet-stream; Maj.pdf]
>
> Although this is obviously a pdf file, MH-E does not know about it
> and does not start a pdf reader.
>
> How can I change this behaviour?

Tell the user who sent you this attachment to stop using a broken mail
reader ;-).

MH-E uses gnus to render its multimedia bits. I imagine that Gnus uses
the Content-Type header field, not the Content-Disposition field
(which contains the filename), for determining what viewer to use.
Running "M-x customize-group RET gnus-article-mime RET", I don't see
anything obvious which might modify this behavior.

I've always just saved these files and launched gpdf separately, but I
agree that's a pain.

It would be nice if you followed up by asking the gnus folks via one
of their mailing lists or newsgroups (http://gnus.org/resources.html).
Perhaps a mechanism already exists, or perhaps they would be willing
to put in a workaround. If so, please share it with us on mh-e-users
mailing list. If not, please add a feature request
(http://mh-e.sourceforge.net) for us to put in a workaround.

> Sorry, if this is the wrong list to ask, but I could not find a more
> appropriate one nore did I find an answer in the documentation or
> the FAQ.

Please check out http://mh-e.sourceforge.net/. There's a link to our
mailing lists there. I think you'd be interested in
address@hidden, also gatewayed at gmane.mail.mh-e.user
(not a typo, just a reflection of Gmane policy).

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD