Re: [Nmh-workers] Bug? mhstore Will Use Same File.

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Bug? mhstore Will Use Same File.
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 11:49:39 -0500

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:55:04 PST, Bill Wohler said:
> In any event, quietly overwriting an existing file (especially if the
> file existed outside of the message already) should be prevented.

Also, if we're extending the functionality, we should include the following
checks:

1) Filter the pathname for .. and absolute pathnames - or possibly totally
ignore all path information and save the base filename in Mail/

2) Never automagically save a file with a name starting with '.'

(These are a security threat - I've heard of more than one person who's
gotten their machine hacked because somebody sent them an attachment
called '~/.rhosts' that contained a '+ +'.  And before you say that's an
old worn-out trick, note that on modern Unixoids if you have an sshd running
there's often fun to be had by mailing a customized file and calling it
'foo/../../../home/<victim>/.ssh/authorized-keys' or something like that.. ;)

Hmm.. maybe forcing it to ~/Mail/Files/<suggested-name-if-doesnt-exist> and
prompting the user for *anything* else?  And maybe a .mh_profile entry to
set the value of 'Files' if the user wants to rename the subdir?