Re: [Nmh-workers] selecting text over html

From: Jerry Peek
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] selecting text over html
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:39:47 -0600

On 1 September 2004 at 9:38, Paul Fox <address@hidden> wrote:
> is there a way to get nmh to to display the text version of
> a message in favor of an html version?

Here are two ideas:

1) Use the -nocheckmime or -noshowproc switch with show, next, and
   prev.  (I put it in my MH profile.)  I like that as a default
   because it lets me quickly recognize messages from spammers
   (with a bunch of random text, funny HTML, etc.).  Because the
   first part of a message (just after the header) is supposed
   to be the simplest formatting, it's usually plain text.  That's
   what I look at.  If the message is only HTML, I can do something
   else to see it.

2) Use commands like these:

     $ mhlist
      msg part  type/subtype              size description
      1750      multipart/alternative     6632
           1    text/html                 4651
           2    text/plain                1819

     $ mhshow -part 2

That could be automated, I think, by a little script that checks the
output of "mhlist" to find the text/plain part number, if any.

> in an xterm, text _is_ the richest format.  :-)

Actually, you can set a showproc that will check the message type
and, if it's HTML, extract that part and invoke lynx(1) or links(1)
to show it within the xterm.  I used to do that, but I decided that
the HTML messages usually weren't worth the trouble.

Jerry
--
Jerry Peek, address@hidden, http://www.jpeek.com/