Re: [Nmh-workers] File upload frustration

From: Neil W Rickert
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] File upload frustration
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:10:26 -0600

Ken Hornstein <address@hidden> wrote on Feb 3, 2004:

>>| nmh normally submits a message using smtp.

>>I've never done it that way.  ``sendmail -t'' is the unix standard
>>mail injection mechanism.  It has many advantages.  It provides an
>>easy way to set the envelope.  It means that every workstation doesn't
>>have to listen on port 25 and deal with network traffic from randoms.
>>It means that the mail injection system can authenticate the sender,
>>and enforce policy.  nmh shouldn't be usurping that job.

>I believe Neil really meant to say that nmh can _only_ submit a message
>using SMTP.  Even when it's piping to sendmail, it's not using -t, it's
>using -bs and speaking SMTP.  The workstation doesn't have to listen on
>port 25 in that case, obviously.  This is assuming that you haven't
>changed nmh to use -t (if you did, hey, that's fine ... I just want to
>be sure we're talking about the same thing).

That's not quite correct.  If you use "spost" for your postproc",
then it will use "sendmail -t" or something similar.  But "spost" is
certainly not the normal way of doing things.  The default is, as you
say, to invoke "sendmail -bs" and talk smtp over stdio, or to talk
smtp to localhost (depends on a configuration choice).

>Please understand; I have no objection to the functionality.

Nor have I.

>I'm just not happy with the overloading of an existing header.

Why a header, rather than an environment setting?

 -NWR