netftpserver-general

Re: [Net::FTPServer] Simple anonymous access

From: Kral Gergely
Subject: Re: [Net::FTPServer] Simple anonymous access
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:03:01 +0100

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 01:31:14PM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:
> > /usr/lib/perl5/Net/FTPServer/RO/Server.pm line 107, <STDIN> line 2.
>
> Well, you can add an ``ftp'' user to your system.  However doing so
> can introduce security problems, if not done properly ...
>
> It depends on exactly what you want to do (anonymous only?
> read/write?  give ordinary users accounts?), you could try the
> ``password file'' approach.

I only want to share files on my computer without giving anynoe write
permission.
As I imagine, I would just create a directory and point the root of the
anonymous account to that directory. Do I still need to create an ftp
account in this case?

Btw, thank you for the quick and detailed help!

--
``Dreams are journeys, that take one far from familiar shores,
strengthening the heart, empowering the soul.''