Re: [Nel] Nevrax and Snowballs Questions

From: Vincent Caron
Subject: Re: [Nel] Nevrax and Snowballs Questions
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:00:25 +0200

Mike Stoddart wrote:
I'm having problems compiling Nel from sources under Win2k. When I load the Workspace into Dev Studio it doesn't contain any projects. If I insert projects into the workspace manually, it tells me that the project files are invalid and won't load them. Has anyone else seen this?

Hello,

Could you tell if you're talking about VC6 (.dsp) or VC7/.Net (.vcproj) project files ? Also if you're using WinCVS to fetch the sources, make sure you have the option 'Checkout files with CR/LF' turned ON (this is the default), otherwise you'll have Unix format text files and most Windows applications can't deal with them.

Also, I ran the snowballs example, but I only got about 20fps on a P3-700, 256Mb, GeForce 2 GTS. Is this normal (i.e. will the 3d engine be optimised in the future?)?

Seems somewhat expected, I have 60fps on a GeForce4 Ti4400 + Athlon 1800+. Snowballs is not particularly tuned, maybe the landscape tesseling treshold is a bit too much as a default (or could be dynamically adjusted with the viewport's size, I don't know). Profiling it would be interesting though, my next concern is data loading (way too long), I let you know about my adventures in NeL's code :)