Re: [Nel] Need for a guideline to create sets of clothes

From: Nicolas Vizerie
Subject: Re: [Nel] Need for a guideline to create sets of clothes
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 18:38:48 +0200

Hi Phlam,
----- Original Message -----
From: phlam
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 4:24 PM

Hello NeL apostles

Is there a guideline to create sets of clothes for the characters ?
Say I want to be able to change parts of the Gnu's clothes in Snowballs. What will I have to do ?

I suppose that, in 3DSMax, I have to split the Gnu mesh into different parts, say { head, shirt, hands, trousers, feet }.
I should assign to each of them the same modifier skin or physique.
You can use several skin/physique modifiers provided the weights remains the same, too.
Let's call them original parts, or first set of clothes.

Now I create new objects, like trousers, shirts, and so on, assign them a modifier skin or physique with the same list of bones and setup the influences.
I suppose that the new parts must have the same open edges as the original ones, for the vertices to be welded when we swap clothes.

I think there must be NeL properties to be set, like the 'Mesh interfaces' group in the "Misc" tab, and maybe 'Instance name' or 'Instance group name' in the "Instance" tab. These properties don't speak by themselves.
What does the magic button 'Test Interface mesh' ?

Indeed the 'Mesh interfaces' group has been created to address that issue.
Let's say you want to join the torso and the arm of your character. If they are separate objects, the normals won't have the correct
 directions.

First solution:
-------------------
In a separate .max file, create a spline object that describes the 'interfaces' between the 2 meshes. It should be a single closed spline. Its vertices should be at the same positions than those of the arm and the torso openings. It is used to compute common normals for the 2 parts.
For both the torso and the arm, in the node properties, fill the 'Interface. max file' field with the name of the .max file you just created.
Note that several 'mesh interface' can be put together in the same file.
In the node properties select a weld thershold (in meters).
You can then check the results in the object viewer, or export it.
If you want to check which vertices are modified, just convert your object to an editable mesh, and use 'Test mesh interface'. This will select the vertices that are below the threshold. They can be seen then by editing the mesh.

Second solution :
-------------------------
Just check 'Get interface normals from scene objects' in your node properties. If you make set of consistent cloths, the normals will be computed has if they where a single mesh. The threshold is used here to select vertices of adjacent meshs. Then the smoothing groups are tested to see which faces should add a contribution to the normal.

The only things to export are the skeleton animations and the parts (shapes) ? Is there a need for a .ig file ?
Are there additional data to be added to the Max objects ? Are there additional data to be added to the exported objects ?

You need to export the skeleton, its animations, and the parts. The .ig are instance group files, they contains instances positions, the name of their shape, and clusters & lights when presents. You don't need them here.

Now what should a (kind) programmer modify in the snowballs sources to get the Gnu change a part or the full set of his clothes at the press of a key ?
To sum up, you need to call UScene::createInstance to create each parts. You create a single skeleton, and bind all your instances to the same skeleton, instead of binding only one mesh.

Thanks in advance
phlam

Hope it  helps,
Nicolas Vizerie